Part 3, Note 13
Click Here to See All Notes to Part 3
Day, comp. and ed., Post Office Papers of the Republic of Texas 1836-1839, p. 37; Matagorda Bulletin, September 27, 1838; Andrew Forest Muir, ed., Texas in 1837 (Austin: University of Texas Press, 1958), p. 81; Telegraph and Texas Register, May 2, 1837, which contains the first printing of the first of the three ads, and June 8, 1837, which contains the first printings of the second and third ads; Colorado County Deed Records, Book A, p. 139. The statement, in a brief biographical sketch of Armstead Carter, that Columbus contained only three or four houses in 1838 must be taken as a slight underestimate (see A Twentieth Century History of Southwest Texas (Chicago: The Lewis Publishing Company, 1907), vol. 2, p. 361). In March 1836, Sam Houston's army had moved the home of Martha Bostick from its original site inside the bend to the north of Columbus into the fledgling town, for, as J. W. E. Wallace later stated, "the purpose of shelter during the difficulties of the time." The house may have been destroyed during the hostilities (see Colorado County District Court Records, Civil Cause File No. 63: William B. Dewees v. Martha Bronson alias Bostick).