Part 4, Note 3
Click Here to See All Notes to Part 4
Colorado County Commissioners Court Minutes, Book 1, pp. 5, 9, 21, 30-32, 34-35. That the building had been redesigned is indicated by actions of the commissioners court on January 11, 1848 and February 19, 1849. On the earlier date, they rented a room on the second floor of the courthouse to Thomas J. Neavitt for use as a school, stipulating that it must be vacated when it was required "for public uses." On the later date, they assigned offices on the ground floor to the county and district clerks (see Colorado County Commissioners Court Minutes, Book 1, pp. 46, 65). Fisher's original plan, of course, contained only one office on the ground floor. The second-floor room they rented to Neavitt was probably the courtroom, since the courtroom would have been the only room in the building that was not used on a daily basis.