Part 5, Note 38
Click Here to See All Notes to Part 5
Colorado Citizen, August 29, 1857, September 12, 1857, February 6, 1858, February 20, 1858, August 28, 1858, November 6, 1858, February 19, 1859, October 6, 1859, September 8, 1860; Gammel, comp., The Laws of Texas 1822-1897, vol. 4, p. 19. Hermann Emil Mathias Jordt and Daniel Draub, both of whom had been associated with Hermann University for some years, were among the original 25 trustees of Colorado College. John J. Scherer replaced his half-brother, Gideon, as pastor of the local Lutheran church in early 1858 (see Book of Record of Luther Chapel Columbus, Texas, The Center for American History, University of Texas, Austin). In 1860, there were ten schools in the county. All but the Columbus Female Seminary and Colorado College had one teacher. Henderson, that year, lived with the family of Jacob Clapp, who had lived near where Alleyton would be established since 1851 (see Eighth Census of the United States (1860), Schedule 1, Schedule 6, Colorado County, Texas; Colorado County Deed Records, Book H, p. 79, Book J, p. 792).