Part 7, Note 37
Click Here to See All Notes to Part 7
Colorado County Deed Records, Book L, p. 645, Book N, pp. 667-670, Book O, p.
76. The name of the community that Swenson set up is so informal that it seems
seldom to have been written down, though there are hundreds of transactions
regarding the land that are recorded in the Colorado County courthouse. About a
century after the community was created, the commissioners court created a road
through the area which they named the Judyville road (see Colorado County
Commissioners Court Minutes, vol. 21, p. 503). Current residents use several
variations; Judyville, Judaville, Juniorville, and Jewittville being four. If
the original version was Judyville, the name may derive from that of one of the
original eighteen grantees, Judy Swenson.
There are many other mysteries regarding this community. Swenson lived in New York at the time he set it up. He specified in the deed that the persons who were to receive the land were black and had rendered "faithful services," presumably, though he does not say so, to himself. However, at the time the land was conveyed, Swenson is not known to have owned any slaves for about twenty years (see Larry E. Scott, The Swedish Texans (San Antonio: University of Texas Institute of Texan Cultures, 1990). pp. 57-59). The land was conveyed in 1869, but none of the persons who received it appear on the 1870 federal census of Texas or on the 1870 Colorado County tax rolls.
On June 30, 1874, three of the original grantees conveyed their 40 acres to two men in return for legal services rendered on behalf of Leonard Robinson, who had five criminal indictments pending against him. The others seem to have retained their ownership for many years longer (see Colorado County Deed Records, Book T, p. 2).