Part 8, Note 78
Click Here to See All Notes to Part 8
Colorado Citizen, August 6, 1874,
September 17, 1874, March 18, 1875, August 12, 1875, August 19, 1875, August 26,
1875, September 23, 1875, November 16, 1876, January 18, 1877, December 13,
1877; Gammel, comp., The Laws of Texas 1822-1897, vol. 8, pp. 811,
1035-1046; Samuel D. McLeary, "School in Osage," in Hinton, Weimar, Texas
First 100 Years 1873-1973, p. 286; Colorado County Deed Records, Book S, p.
122. The original directors of the Colorado Institute were William S. Delany,
Rowan Green, Robert H. Harrison, Jahu W. Johnson, Charles O. Nelson, Robert E.
Stafford, James Lee Taylor, Exum P. Whitfield, and George Witting.
It will be remembered that what became Hermann Seminary had started out as Hermann University. On August 10, 1870, the legislature incorporated a second Hermann University, this one to be organized in Comal County, and assigned the league of land that had been designated for the original Hermann University to it. Naturally, this created a problem, for an earlier legislature had already given the league to Hermann Seminary. Perhaps for this reason, little more than a year later, on November 1, 1871, the legislature revoked the charter of the second Hermann University (see Gammel, comp., The Laws of Texas 1822-1897, vol. 5, pp. 256-258, vol. 6, pp. 635-636, vol. 7, p. 164).