Historical Markers  
Jump to First Marker

1890 Cornerstone Ceremony 
Abram Alley Log Cabin  
Alley Log Cabin  
Asa and Rebecca Townsend (1795-1876)  
Austin's Colony, The Rangers of 
Bank, Columbus State 
Bartels-Wirtz House 
Beason's (Beeson's) Crossing 
Benjamin Beason's Crossing on the Colorado River 
Blue Star Memorial Highway 
Brick Store House 
Brunson Building  
Caledonia Lodge No. 68  
Caledonia Lodge No. 68 - 1890 Cornerstone 
Camp, Site of the 
Cemetery, Columbus Odd Fellows Rest 
Cemetery, Columbus' Old City 
Cemetery, Hebrew Benevolence Society 
Church, St. Johns Episcopal 
City Cemetery, Columbus' Old 
City of Columbus (1) 
City of Columbus (2) 
Colonel Joseph Worthington Elliott Wallace (April 8, 1796-August 24, 1872)  
Colorado County Citizen, The  
Colorado County Court House - 1890 Cornerstone  
Colorado County Courthouse  
Columbus Church of Christ 
Columbus Oak  
Columbus Odd Fellows Rest Cemetery 
Columbus' Old City Cemetery  
Columbus State Bank  
Columbus Waterworks 
Columbus, Texas Meat and Ice Company  
Confederate Memorial Museum 
Courthouse Square Fountain Restoration  
Courthouse, Colorado County 
Darden, Fannie Baker (1829-1890), Homesite of 
Delany, William Shelby (September 18, 1825-December 16, 1900) 
Dewees, William B. 
Dilue Rose and Ira Albert Harris House 
Dilue Rose Harris 
District Court Tree 
Dr. Logue's Drugstore, Early Site of 
Drugstore, Early Site of Dr. Logue's 
Early Site of Dr. Logue's Drugstore 
Ehrenwerth-Ramsey-Untermeyer Building 
Episcopal Church, St. Johns 
Exum Philip Whitefield (April 22, 1818-September 17, 1887) 
First United Methodist Church of Columbus 
Fountain Restoration, Courthouse Square 
Frederick Zimmerscheidt  
Frnka, Joseph V. (March 7, 1880-January 29, 1958) 
General Store, Old 
George W. Smith (September 25, 1822-October 21, 1873) 
Hahn House 
Hancock-Heller Home  
Harris House, Dilue Rose and Ira Albert 
Harrison, M.D., Robert Henry (November 13, 1826-October 17, 1905) 
Harrison-Hastedt House 
Hebrew Benevolence Society Cemetery 
Home of Texas Attorney General George McCormick 
Home of William Christian Papenberg (1870-1958)  
Homesite of Fannie Baker Darden (1829-1890)  
Hood's Texas Brigade 
Hospital, Site of Railway 
Hunt-Cassell House 
Ilse-Rau House 
In Memory Of Those From Colorado County Who Gave Their Lives In The Second World War 
Isgrig House, The 
Johnson, Jesse H. (September 6, 1843—March 22, 1928) 
Keith-Traylor House 
Log Cabin, Abram Alley 
Logue's Drugstore, Early Site of Dr. 
Maigne-Walther House 
McCormick, George, Home of Texas Attorney General  
Menefee, William 
Methodist Church of Columbus, First United 
Montgomery House, The 
Museum, Confederate Memorial 
Odd Fellows Rest Cemetery 
Old General Store 
Old Stafford Opera House  
Opera House, Old Stafford 
Papenberg, William Christian (1870-1958), Home of 
Railway Hospital, Site of 
Rangers of Austin's Colony, The 
Rev. Jacob Sherer, The (February 7, 1785-March 2, 1860) 
Robson, Robert (1804-1878)  
Robson's Castle 
Rose and Ira Albert Harris House 
Rosenfield Building 
Sherer, The Rev. Jacob (February 7, 1785-March 2, 1860) 
Simpson-Williamson House 
Site of the Camp  
Smith, George W. (September 25, 1822-October 21, 1873) 
St. Johns Episcopal Church  
Stafford Opera House, Old 
Stafford, Robert E. (1834-1890) - Texas Meat & Ice Co. 
Stafford-Miller House 
State Bank, Columbus 
Tait Town House 
Tate-Senftenberg-Brandon Home 
Texas Attorney General George McCormick, Home of 
Toliver-Cone House 
Townsend, Asa and Rebecca (1795-1876) 
Townsend-West House 
Tree, District Court 
Tumlinson Family  
United Methodist Church of Columbus, First 
Wallace, Colonel Joseph Worthington Elliott (April 8, 1796-August 24, 1872) 
Waterworks, Columbus 
Whitefield, Exum Philip (April 22, 1818-September 17, 1887)  
Youens-Hopkins House 
Zimmerscheidt, Frederick 


Site of Robson's Castle and 
Columbus, Texas Meat and Ice Company
  [top]  [next]

Robert Robson, (1804-1878), one of many Scotsmen seeking fortune in North America, came to the Texas Republic in 1839. On land he owned at this site, he built in 1839 a concrete "castle", using native lime and gravel. It had running water, pumped from the Colorado into a tank on the roof, then through wooden pipes to its many rooms. It also had a roof garden and an encircling moat with drawbridge. From Bastrop to Matagorda, it drew guests to champagne suppers, card parties, and balls. Undermined by 1869 flood, it became a ruin and was razed when site was put to new use in 1880's.

Columbus, Texas Meat & Ice Company built its 3-story plant on this site in 1884. It was then one of three packing houses in Texas. Established to process at place of origin, the plant could handle 125 cattle a day. Some of its beef went to Queen Victoria's London. Robert E. Stafford (1834-1890) a wealthy trail driver and rancher, veteran of Civil War service with famous Hood's Texas Brigade, owner of a private band and extensive Colorado County properties was president and major stockholder in the packing house, in the early 1890's, after Stafford died, the plant closed.

[1973]  On State Highway 71 at south end of Colorado River Bridge.


1890 Cornerstone Ceremony   [top]  [next]

The building of the Colorado County Courthouse began with a public celebration of July 7, 1890. About 3,000 people attended a barbeque in a grove north of town. They later marched to the courthouse square in a procession led by a local marching band. Members of Caledonia Lodge No. 68 A.F. & A. M. laid the cornerstone with Masonic ceremonies. Following the ceremony the crowd gathered together for a return procession to the grove. Later that evening a Grand Ball was held at the Stafford Opera House. The new courthouse was complete in February 1891.

Recorded Texas Historic Landmark

[1990]  Courthouse Square


Abram Alley Log Cabin   [top]  [next]

In the 1820s, Abram Alley (D1862) came from Missouri to join his brothers in Stephen F. Austin's "Old 300" Colony. He settled a few miles south of here on the east side of the Colorado, and in 1835 married Nancy Millar (1817-1893) of another pioneer family. During the Texas War for Independence, he went to the aid of settlers fleeing Santa Anna in the "Runaway Scrape", and his own home was burned. Late in 1836 he returned and built this cabin of oak logs. He the Alleys raised two daughter and three sons and often entertained friends and travelers.

Recorded Texas Historic Landmark

[1977]  1230 Bowie Street


Asa and Rebecca Townsend  (1795-1876)   [top]  [next]

Born in South Carolina, Asa Townsend was reared in Georgia, where he married Rebecca Harper (1805-1857). They moved from Florida to Colorado County in 1838 with their large family. An active civic leader, Townsend served on the Committee to Adopt Measures for the Annexation of Texas to the U.S. in 1845, and was a member of the Colorado River Navigation Association, during reconstruction he organized successful ventures in Mexico. He was active in the Methodist Church and area Masonic Lodges, Rebecca and Asa, who were the parents of 15, are interred in the cemetery in Borden, Texas.

[1997]  1221 Travis Street


Bartels-Wirtz House       [top]  [next]

Distinctions of this Victorian cottage: gable window with star tracery, decorative bargeboard, carpenter's lace. Stained glass entrance doors are duplicated at back of the front hall.

Anton Bartels, from Aldenburg, North Germany, came here in 1869, built this house about 1886; was an Alderman, 1889. Later owners have included the Will Wirtz Family in 1920s and 30s; Felix Fehrenkamp; Mrs. Isabel Moeller.

Recorded Texas Historic Landmark

[1973]  1216 Live Oak Street


Beason's (Beeson's) Crossing       [top]  [next]

Benjamin Beason, one of Stephen F. Austin's original 300 colonists, settled by a widely used Colorado River Crossing near here in 1822. He and his wife, Elizabeth proceeded in build a large home, ( also used as an inn) and establish a gristmill, sawmill, gin, and ferry operation at the crossing. His residence and business operations and a scattering of homesteads in the area formed a settlement know as Beason's Crossing.

In the early spring of 1836 Beason found his home, family and complex of commercial buildings in the perilous position in between San Houston's army, camped on the east bank of the Colorado River opposite Beason's crossing, and a Mexican Army led by General Juaquin Ramirez Y Sesma fast approaching from the west. Houston had chosen this site to camp because of it strategic location at the edge of the most populous part of Texas. With his 1500 troops in position, Houston is said to have declared "On the Colorado I Make My Stand."

Not withstanding this bold declaration, Houston unexpectedly removed his army to the Brazos River on March 26th. Beason's Crossing was subsequently burned tot he ground by a detachment of Houston's army scarcely hours before the arrival of Sesma's army.

Sam Houston Bicentennial (1793-1993)

[        ]  Just East of the East River Bridge at Columbus on side of Hwy. 90 in Beason Park.


Ben Marshall Baker  (1937-1907)      [top]  [next]

Influential owner-editor of "Colorado Citizen", which he and brother, Hicks and James, founded in 1857. All joined Confederate Army in Civil War; Hicks was killed.

In ill health, James moved away. Ben published "Citizen", 1873-1907. This was his home. Widow Virginia (Cunningham) lived here until 1916

Recorded Texas Historic Landmark

[1973]  722 Jackson Street


Benjamin Beason's Crossing on the Colorado River    
    [top]  [next]

Site of the camp, March 19-26, 1836, of the Texas Army under General Sam Houston, who directed the retreat from Gonzales to the San Jacinto.

[1936]  Just East of the East River Bridge at Columbus on side of Hwy. 90 in Beason Park


Blue Star Memorial Highway      [top]  [next]

A tribute to the Armed Forces that have defended the United States of America

Sponsored by Columbus Garden Club In cooperation with Texas Highway Department And The Fourth District of Texas Garden Cities, Inc.

[1969]  Courthouse Square


Brick Store House      [top]  [next]

Owned and occupied 1850-67 by Thomas W. Harris, a physician from Virginia, who built it of locally made bricks. Bought by William and Mary Pinchback (1867), Bertha Wagner (1878), and owned by Wagner heirs for about 100 years. From 1912 until 1970's it housed Fehrenkamp Grocery. Purchased and restored by Laura Ann Rau in 1996-97. It is the oldest commercial building left standing in Columbus.

Recorded Texas Historic Landmark

[1973]  1038 Milam Street


Brunson Building   [top]  [next]

Charles Brunson (1830-1916), born in Westphalia, Germany, migrated to America in 1845. About 1867 he settled in Columbus, establishing a saloon, which prospered. In 1891 he erected this building, adding adjacent store in 1896. Used as saloon until about 1919, building later had other occupancies.

Except for lowering of canopy and some changes in windows, it retains original Victorian style.

Allen Wendel has owned this property since 1970.

Recorded Texas Historic Landmark

[1973]  1014 Milam Street


Caledonia Lodge No. 68   [top]  [next]

Organized 1850; chartered January 24, 1851, founded Columbus Female Seminary, First educational institution in Columbus. Built two-story structure to house school downstairs, Lodge Hall above. Also, (1857) founded Colorado College, city's first public school.

Recorded Texas Historic Landmark

[1973]  1220 Milam Street


City of Columbus (1)     [top]  [next]

Oldest surveyed and platted Anglo-American town in Texas. About Christmas, 1821, Robert and Joseph Kuykendall and Daniel Gilleland settled at this place – in vicinity of Old Indian Campgrounds on Mexico to Sabine River Trail. Stephen F. Austin had noted advantages of this spot earlier. In 1823 he and the Baron De Bastrop surveyed land here. Although they relocated the capital, this site remained a hamlet with a grist mill, ferry, other improvements.

Soon known as Beason's community had as settlers, along with the first three men, many other of the "Old 300": Abram, John, Rawson, Thomas V., and William Alley; Benjamin Beason, Caleb R. Bostick, David Bright, Robert Brotherton, James Cummins, W. B. Dewees, Thomas Kuykendall, James McNair, James Nelson, Gabriel Straw Snyder; Elizabeth, James, and John Tumlinson; Nathaniel Whiting, and possibly others. In 1824, Milton Cook opened a tavern where many Texans stopped over the years. By 1835, village had been named. In Texas War for Independence, buildings here were burned by the Texas Army, to keep them out of the hands of Santa Anna. Bit after the victory at San Jacinto on April 21, 1836, Columbus rose again. W. B. Dewees and J.W.E. Wallace platted the new townsite in 1837.

[1973]  Corner of Spring and Bowie Street


City of Columbus (2)      [top]  [next]

Site of projected capitol of Stephen F. Austin's colony, 1823. First settlement at this point shown on Stephen F. Austin's map of 1835 as Montezuma. The municipality of Colorado was created by the provisional government of Texas January 11, 1836 and the town of Columbus ordered laid out as the seat of government. On March 17, 1836 the county of Colorado was created; in 1837, it was organized. Columbus, the county seat, was incorporated June 5, 1837 as a railroad terminal, from 1869-1873

Columbus was an important trading center for a large territory to the west. In memory of the pioneer families of Burnam, Gilleland, Cummins, Fisher, Dewees, Kuykendall and Tumlinson. J.W.E. Wallace and his company who defended Gonzales October 2, 1935. William D. Lacey, William Menefee, signers of the Texas Declaration of Independence. Leander Beason, John P. Borden, David Cole, Stephen T. Foley, George W. Gardner, S. Joseph Garwood, Basil G. Ijams, Dr. James D. Jennings, Alfred Kelso, Amos D. Kenyon, Daniel Miller, James Nelson, Mitchell Putnam, Dempsey Pace, William Pace, Washington H. Secrest, Maxwell Steele, Robert Stevenson, Spenceer B. Townsend, William Waters, Leroy Wilkinson, San Jacinto Veterans who lived in this county prior to or after the Texas Revolution. Col. John C. Upton, Major John S. Shropshire, Major J.S. West, Capt. P.J. Oakes, Capt. James D. Roberdeau. Capt. R.V. Cook, Confederate officers. The following citizens of distinction have resided in Colorado County Jones Rivers, Jurist, Dr. Lawrence Washington, Gail Borden, Matthew Stanley Quay.

Senator for Pennsylvania, Chas. Nagel, Cabinet Minister under Taft, Wells Thompson, Lieutenant Governor of Texas, George McCormick, State Attorney General of Texas and co-writer of the present State Constitution, Geo W. Smith, member of the supreme court of Texas.

Recorded Texas Historic Landmark

[1936]  Courthouse Square


Colonel Joseph Worthington Elliott Wallace
(April 8, 1796-August 24, 1872)     [top]  [next]

United States Consul to the Colonies in Texas, 1829-1832. A native of Philadelphia, PA., he later joined Austin's colony, serving in campaigns leading to Texas War for Independence.

In 1837, with W.B. Dewees, he platted the town of Columbus. In 1840 he was in Battle of Plum Creek, repulsing Comanche Indians; in 1842, served under Gen. Edward Burleson in defense against Mexico's invasions.

[1970]  Columbus Odd Fellows Rest Cemetery


The Colorado County Citizen      [top]  [next]

Established 1857 by Ben, James, and Hicks Baker, The "Citizen" was named by the Rev. J.J. Scherer, minister-educator. Also published on several sites by series of owners, as "Colorado Times" or "Colorado Citizen", this is only survivor among the several local 1800's papers.

[1973]  513 Spring Street


Colorado County Courthouse     [top]  [next]

This classic revival building-erected in 1890-1891 in form of a Greek Cross – is now one of 28 oldest existing courthouses in Texas' 254 counties. Contractors Martin, Byrne & Johnson built the structure of brick and belton stone. Local Masonic Lodge laid cornerstone.

In 1909 a tornado severely damaged building. Large bell in cupola-clock tower fell 120 feet and was completely buried in the earth. $15 a month job of clock-winder was subsequently canceled. During repairs, present copper dome was added. In 1939 entire building was remodeled.

Recorded Texas Historic Landmark

[1969]  Courthouse Square


Columbus Church of Christ      [top]  [next]

Built as St. John's Church, by pioneer local Episcopal parish, organized in 1850's. After holding services in courthouse and other structures for years, the parish erected this building, which was consecrated on April 3, 1879. Columbus Church of Christ has been active since 1887. Holding services in courthouse or other sites for years, purchasing this property August 1943. This building has been in continuous use for worship since March 6, 1874.

Recorded Texas Historic Landmark

[1973]  815 Milam Street


Columbus Oak     [top]  [next]

Beneath this tree the first court of the Third Judicial District of Republic of Texas was held April, 1837 by Judge Robert M. Williamson ("Three Legged Willie").

[1936]  Travis Street, East of Courthouse


Columbus Odd Fellows Rest Cemetery       [top]  [next]

John Toliver deeded a tract of land to Columbus Lodge No. 51, Independent Order of Odd Fellows, in July 1871 for use as a cemetery. Among the first to be interred here were victims of the 1873 Yellow Fever epidemic, including George W. Smith, District Judge and Texas Supreme Court Justice. Within a few years a bluff on the south side began to erode, exposing some graves. In 1888 a committee was appointed to take preventative measures. The grave of Henry Middleton (d. 1888) was washed out before their efforts were successful.

The Odd Fellows sold the cemetery to the newly formed Columbus Cemetery Association in 1890. The Association added land in 1901. Many stones, such as those of the Dick Family, were relocated from the Old City Cemetery to higher ground in the Odd Fellows Rest Cemetery after a devastating flood in 1913. Among the many burials of note in the Odd Fellows Rest Cemetery was that of J.W.E. Wallace, a Columbus founder, whose grave was moved to the State Cemetery in Austin. Robert and John Stafford, prominent Columbus businessmen, died as a result of a feud, which also involved Deputy Sheriff Larkin S. Hope and his uncle Sheriff "Light" Townsend. Hope is interred here. Wells Thompson was a Texas State Senator and Lieutenant Governor. Others include local poets and historians, as well as veterans of the Civil War, U.S. War with Mexico, Spanish American War, World War I, World War II, and other international wars and conflicts. More land was added to the cemetery in 1977. It continues to serve the city of Columbus at the dawn of the 21st. century. The Columbus Odd Fellows Rest Cemetery is a Chronicle of the history and pride of Colorado County.

[        ]  Location: 1500 Montezuma Street, Columbus

Columbus State Bank     [top]  [next]

History is preserved in this structure. At founding (1919), this institution, in erecting its bank, retained a wall of 1857 Boedecker building that had housed many ventures.

Including City's First Bank (1875). In 1969 rebuilding, Columbus State Bank again used some parts of prior structures.

Recorded Texas Historic Landmark

[1973]  Corner of Walnut and Milam Streets


Columbus Waterworks      [top]  [next]

In 1824 the Mexican government granted to Elizabeth Tumlinson and her heirs the land and water rights to this area in the center of Stephen F. Austin's colony. The town of Columbus developed from a small frontier community. A fire in May 1883 destroyed a livery stable and hotel, threatening downtown Columbus to such a degree that the city council was spurred to action. The commissioner's court erected a water tower on the Courthouse Square and brick pump well-based on Spring Street. A water main with seven hydrants was laid around the business district that year and by December 1883 the city organized a fire department.

Despite the fact that the water from the Colorado River processed through a filter before it was carried along the pipes to the citizens of Columbus, it was not always suitable for drinking. The city of Columbus contracted for an artesian well in September 1890. Work on the well was difficult and completion took six months because of several delays. The project was nearly abandoned.

In 1909 there were about 100 consumers of the water from Columbus' public water well, which could hold about five hundred gallons at a time and was cut off each night. The river water was considered unfit for drinking. The city installed meters at this time. By 1912 the city faced a water shortage. A new steel tower and reservoir were erected, though citizens continued to value at the artesian well for its purported purity and medicinal properties well into the 1930's.

[1999]  East End of Spring Street


Columbus' Old City Cemetery     [top]  [next]

Date of the earliest burial is not known. Oldest headstone, 1853/ Site (7A.) was deeded to the city in 1870 as an existent graveyard.

Burials here include Benjamin Beason, one of Austin's "Old 300" Colonists; W.B. Dewees, also in "Old 300", founder of Columbus; 1830's Historian Dilue Rose and Husband, Sheriff Ira Harris; Gen. Augustus Jones, War of 1812 and Texas War for Independence veteran; Dr. John G. Logue, known as founder of the first drugstore in Texas 1845; The Rev. Jacob Sherer, Founder. In 1857, of Colorado College; many Confederate soldiers; and victims of the 1873 Yellow Fever epidemic.

[1973]  Cemetery entrance, 1300 block of Walnut Street


Confederate Memorial Museum      [top]  [next]

Built 1883 by town of Columbus, using over 400,000 handmade bricks. Has 32- inch walls. Served as Water Tower and Fire House until 1912. Since 1926 owned by Shropshire-Upton Chapter, United Daughters of the Confederacy.

Recorded Texas Historic Landmark

[1966]  Milam & Spring Street


Courthouse Square Fountain Restoration      [top]  [next]

The Colorado County Sesquicentennial Committee, 1986, Dedicates this Fountain Restoration In commemoration of the 1492-1992 Quincentennial

[1992]  Courthouse Square


Dilue Rose and Ira Albert Harris House      [top]  [next]

Dilue Rose and Ira Albert Harris moved from Houston to Columbus in 1845. Ira served as County Sheriff and City Marshal, and Dilue wrote of her experiences during the Texas Revolution, later published. They built this house in 1858 and lived in it with their nine children. The house was constructed of concrete with stucco applied to the exterior. The two-room plan house contains a basement, an unusual feature after 1860. An interpretation of a simple Cumberland plan, the house features box columns on the porch, squared wood balusters, a hipped roof and two exterior chimneys.

Recorded Texas Historic Landmark

[1996]  602 Washington Street


Dilue Rose Harris     [top]  [next]

Dilue Rose Harris (1825-1914) is best known for her journal writings concerning events of the Texas Revolution. Her 30,000 word "Reminiscences" were published in the "Quarterly" of the Texas State Historical Association, and have provided a valuable source of information about Texas at that time. Dilue Rose came to Texas in 1833, and was married to Ira Harris (1816-1869) when she was almost 14 years old in 1839. They moved to Columbus in 1845, built this house in 1858 and reared nine children while living here. Dilue and Ira Harris are buried in the Columbus City Cemetery.

[1996]  602 Washington Street


District Court Tree      [top]  [next]

In 1837 this oak sheltered Texas jurors. Courthouse was unfinished because logs coming down river for building had swept past in strong current. R. M. Williamson, presiding, was called "Three-Legged Willie" due to appearance; he had good leg, crippled leg, and wooden leg.

[1969]  Travis Street, East of Courthouse


Early Site of Dr. Logue's Drugstore      [top]  [next]

Known as first drugstore in Republic of Texas. Founded 1844 by Dr. John G. Logue (1815-1861), who came here after graduation (1842) from Jefferson Medical College, Philadelphia. A partner of his for a time was Dr. John H. Bowers, physician (1836) to captive dictator Santa Anna. Store was had a succession of owners, one Dr. R. H. Harrison, founded City's Railroad Hospital. Later owners Weller & Burford served trade area extending to Gonzales and Bastrop. O.A. Zumwalt (1870-1951), was proprietor for 48 years.

The store, operated on various sites, is now on Bowie Street.

[1973]  Corner of Travis and Spring Streets


Ehrenwerth-Ramsey-Untermeyer Building      [top]  [next]

Henry M. Ehrenwerth built this two-story commercial structure in 1873-75 of bricks from a local kiln. Designed for his mercantile store, it housed L. G. Smith's Red Elk Saloon and Gambling Hall in the 1880's. In 1896 the building was purchased by James Ramsey, who operated a hardware, implement and undertaking business here. His sons Charles sold the structure in 1925 to the hardware firm of Leo L, F.J. and Emil E. J. Untermeyer.

Recorded Texas Historic Landmark

[1973]  1120 Milam Street


Exum Philip Whitefield
(April 22, 1818-September 17, 1887)     [top]  [next]

Columbus business leader, merchant, physician, farmer, 1858-87, president, 1861- 66, Columbus Tap Railway. Served two Confederate enlistments during the Civil War, 1860's. Married (1st.) M. Manerva Thompson (D. 1853); (2nd.) Sara Jane Palmer. Had 12 children.

[1973]  Old City Cemetery


First United Methodist Church of Columbus   [top]  [next]

One of the earliest Protestant congregations in Texas, founded in Austin's Original Colony. The first church building was near the Colorado, on a lot "Sold" for $1.00 by Isam Tooke in 1848, and an adjoining lot bought in 1849 from George W. Smith. The Rev. J.E. Kolbe was then pastor, trustees were Eli Clapp, W.B. Dewees, Thomas Neavitt, Henry Terrell, I. Tooke, and Asa Townsend. In 1873, a second church was built just south of the railroad. Present site was given by Mrs. Sarah E. Stafford, and a new church was completed in July 1897, under the Rev. S. F. Chambers, pastor.

[1974]  1229 Milam Street


Frederick Zimmerscheidt     [top]  [next]

Settled on this land in 1834 and built a log home. He had one child, a daughter, who married John Leyendecker. Present house has been continuously occupied by his Leyendecker decendants since 1842. Erected by LaSalle Chaper Daughters of the American Colonists.

[1961]  .5 Miles NW on State Highway 71


George W. Smith     [top]  [next]  
(September 25, 1822-October 21, 1873)  

Born in Kentucky, George Washington Smith moved to texas in 1847. By 1860 Smith was Judge of the First District Court, a local landowner and a commissioner of the Columbus Tap Railroad. He left the court to participate in the Constitutional Convention of 1866. , then was reappointed to his former bench. He promptly was elected tot he Texas Supreme Court and chose to accept that position. In September 1867 the entire court was removed in favor of a Reconstruction Government. The Galveston, Harrisburg and San Antonio Railroad honored Smith in 1870 by christening a new locomotive George W. Smith. He represented Colorado and Lavaca Counties in 1873 in the House of Representatives, where he authored election reform legislation. He died in a Yellow Fever epidemic later that year.

[2000]  600 Preston Street


Hahn House     [top]  [next]

On this site a small cottage was built about 1868 by W. H. Crebbs, who sold place in 1885 to Peter Hahn (1852-1940) and his wife Catherine Leyendecker. In 1890, Hahn moved cottage tot he rear, scouted East Texas for fine woods, hired contractors Jacob and Louis Wirtz, and built two-story, galleried Victorian main house adjoining cottage. Peter and Catherine's son Albert and wife Elizabeth Burford, and their children have preserved the home.

Recorded Texas Historic Landmark

[1973]  903 Front Street


Hancock-Heller Home     [top]  [next]

Original structure built about 1836. Purchased in 1865 by John S. Hancock, County Tax Collector. Walls are of cypress with hard cedar floors. A ‘Dog-Trot' hall divides front section.

In 1884 another owner moved a second house here and placed it at the rear. He also added elaborate Victorian detailing to the front porch and gable.

In 1906 family of P.F. Heller, rancher and merchant, purchased home, which is still occupied by Heller descendants.

Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
934 Milam Street


Harrison-Hastedt House     [top]  [next]

This structure was initially a small 2-bedroom house built in 1861. Jesse Joyner Harrison, owner of the property from 1877-1901, hired prominent local builders Andrew Wirtz & Sons in the 1880s to transform the structure into a larger 2-story framed central hall residence, the Wirtzes used fine milled wood detailing on the house's wraparound porches. The house was acquired by John and Emma Hastedt in 1911. It remained in the Hastedt family in 1989.

Home Known as Merlaine

Recorded Texas Historic Landmark

[1993]  236 Preston

Hebrew Benevolence Society Cemetery      [top]  [next]

Comprising one acre of land, this cemetery was begun in 1879 with the burial of M.A. Levy. Although its name suggests an affiliation with a Hebrew Benevolence Society, there was never a specific organization associated with the cemetery. Several of the city's Jewish citizens are buried here, including two infants who died in the 1880's and Merchant Louis Rosenstein. The last burial was that of Pauline Lewin Nussbaum in 1938. Abandoned for many years, the cemetery was restored in 1988 by a Boy Scout Troop from Congregation Beth Israel in Houston.

[1989]  Corner of Cardinal Lane and Montezuma Street


Home of Texas Attorney General 
George McCormick  
  [top]  [next]

In McCormick family 100 years; "Early Texas" cottage, built 1868, with square nails; of cypress and pine wood; had five rooms, detached kitchen, dining room.

Born in Virginia, McCormick (1841-1905) came to Texas 1858; served in Confederate Army; in 1871 married Myrah Thatcher; had five children.

He helped write Constitution of 1876; was Attorney General 1878-1880; served 1884-1922 as Judge of 25th Judicial District.

Recorded Texas Historic Landmark

[1968]  736 Travis Street


Home of William Christian Papenberg (1870-1958)  [top]  [next]

District Clerk for 38 years in Colorado County, Born in Illinois. Educated as a teacher, came to Texas (1899) in that profession. Moved to Columbus (1904) and became the clerk in 1908. This house that he and his wife Emma (Buescher) built in 1914 remains in the family.

Recorded Texas Historic Landmark

[1973]  Bowie Street


Homesite of Fannie Baker Darden (1829-1890)      [top]  [next]

Known as "Poet Laureate of Columbus". Daughter of Texas war for Independence hero, Gen. Moseley Baker, and his wife Eliza; married attorney W. J. Darden, January 26, 1847; had two sons. Moved here, 1852. Taught art at Colorado College. Wrote for Columbus, Galveston, Houston, New Orleans newspapers.

[1973]  726 Walnut Street


Hunt-Cassell House      [top]  [next]

On land owned by Capt. William G. Hunt (1813-98), a Virginian who came here about 1831, fought in Texas War for Independence (1836), was a trader, fought in Civil War (1861-65), and was on the vestry of St. John's Episcopal Church, to whom he gave the location for the first church building erected in 1872. Local newspapers records indicate Capt. Hunt built his home about 1872 and lived there until his death. House purchased and completely restored by Laura Ann Rau 1995-96.

Recorded Texas Historic Landmark

[1973]  904 Travis Street


Ilse-Rau House      [top]  [next]

Built in 1887 by Henry Ilse, a farmer, rancher, saloon owner, in symmetrical Victorian style, house is constructed of cypress, with pine floors and jigsaw decorations. It contains three fireplaces with marble mantles. Roof is made of stamped metal rectangles. Contractors were Jacob and Lewis Wirtz.

Ilse family home until 1954. House was purchased in 1965 and restored by Mr. and Mrs. R. F. Rau in Empire and Victorian manner.

Since purchased by Raymond Rau family in 1965, the structure has been known as "Raumonda"

In Memory Of Those From 
Colorado County Who Gave Their Lives 
In The Second World War
  [top]  [next]
Elo A. Ahlgrim
Leon P. Kallina
Felton F. Alley
Albert R. Klesel
Orville Baker
Frank J. Krejci
Frank P. Blassingame
Leroy J. Krenek
Preston P. Brasher
Bernard Kubenka
Reinhardt H. Breithaupt
Norman L. Lanier
Daniel P. Christen
Clarence J. Miculka
Clarence R. Cone
Arthur Muehr
James M. Davis Jr.
Almous C. New
Richard L. Eggers
Ervin W. Neimeyer
Fred E. Estlinbaum
Lauren P. Otting
Jerrard P. Evoritt

Frederick E. Paweleck
William N. Foster
Robert L. Plagens
Lawrence Gage
Harold W. Runk
William D. Grogan
Islael E. Selph
James B. Harris
Frank I. Shimek
Paul P. Hastedt
Robert Shimek
John P. Henry
John H. Stahl
Ernest A. Herndon
Kearby L. Watson
George R. Huepers
Arthur Weiss
Marion D. Jackson
John B. Westmoreland
Erlie E. Jarmon
Jesse P Yanez
Edward H. Bubolz Jr.

Placed by John Everett, Chapter D.A.R. 1946

Second Plaque Below Big One

William Cook
Arthur Hodde
Edward Hodde
Maurice Parker
Gerald Shirley
William L. Stapleton

The Isgrig House      [top]  [next]

Late Victorian house with art glass windows, shingled gables, ornate gingerbread trim. Large rooms have 12-foot ceilings.

Built in 1898 of clear lumber, hand-picked by the owner, John H. Luck, assisted by Jeff Tanner, a highly respected Negro builder working out of lumber yard of S.K. Seymour.

B.F. Isgrig brought the property in 1916; descendants, including a son, Nathan Powderly Isgrig, have since occupied and preserved it.

Recorded Texas Historic Landmark

[1973]  436 Smith Street


Jesse H. Johnson
(September 6, 1843—March 22, 1928)
      [top]  [next]

Jesse H. Johnson, born in Clarksburg, West Virginia, came to Texas in 1868 and settled here in Columbus, Colorado County. In May 1869 he was appointed Sheriff of Colorado County, a position he held until the end of that year. Johnson became a part of Texas' Legendary Late 19th Century Cattle Industry when in 1871 he led a cattle drive from Columbus to Abilene, Kansas and delivered over 600 head of cattle. He was sworn in as Colorado County Justice of the Peace in 1872.

In 1873 Johnson married Laura Glenn Harbert, a local landowners of some prominence and the daughter of an important County Judge. He served as District Clerk of Colorado County from 1876 to 1882 and became a director of the Columbus Meat and Ice Company in 1883. His last official position in Colorado County was that of Tax Collector from 1886 to 1894.

Johnson joined the United States Foreign Service in 1899. He served as U.S. Consul in Coaticook, Quebec, Canada (1899-1901); Santos, Brazil (1901-1906); Swansea, Wales, U.K. (1907-1910); Matamoros, Mexico (1910-1917); and at Regina, Saskatchewan Western Canada from 1917-1923.

Johnson retired from the Foreign Service in 1923 and returned to Columbus. He died in Houston and his body was returned to Columbus by railroad for burial.

[1994]  1700 Milam Street


Joseph V. Frnka
(March 7, 1880-January 29, 1958)
      [top]  [next]

Joseph V. Frnka, born in Industry, Texas, built a home here in 1906. A self- taught lawyer, Frnka was admitted to the Texas Bar in 1915. A business leader, he was active in the local Masonic Lodge and helped found the Columbus Lions Club. In 1923- 1927 he represented this area in the Texas House of Representatives. He practiced law locally and in 1945 was appointed Assistant State Attorney General. Following World War II he served as a prosecutor and judge with the U.S. Military government in Germany. Frnka later served as Chief Title Examiner of the Veterans Land Board in Austin.

Recorded Texas Historic Landmark

[1994]  1035 Front Street


Keith-Traylor House      [top]  [next]

Civil war veteran John Wilbur Keith and his wife, Haseltine Long, Daughter of a prominent Beaumont businessman, moved to Columbus in 1870 and in 1875 sold it to local merchant Charles W. Traylor and his wife, Lura (Perry), granddaughter of early Colorado River Ferry operator Benjamin Beason. The Keiths' son, James L. and the Traylors' daughter, Clara, both born in this house, were married here in 1896. Alterations include the addition of a dining room, kitchen, Queen Anne detailing, and a bathroom. The house is a fine local example of late Victorian-Era, center passage design.

Recorded Texas Historic Landmark

[1995]  806 Live Oak Street


Maigne-Walther House      [top]  [next]

Raised cottage with parapeted balustrade, built 1869 by Charles Maigne. Siding and floors are of pine; interior walls of cypress. Foundations and fireplaces are of handmade bricks. Square nails were used in construction.

Several short-term ownerships were followed by sale in 1910 to R.H. Walther, a book keeper and merchant, who served 1914-26 on staff of county tax collector. His daughters Grace and Rosanna Walther now own, preserve house.

Recorded Texas Historic Landmark

[1973]  904 Live Oak Street


The Montgomery House      [top]  [next]

Typical post-Civic War, L-shaped empire cottage, with handmade brick foundation. Native oak sills, pine floors, siding, doors, window shutters are of cypress.

House was built about 1867 by land agent A.J. Gallilee; bought in 1876 by Fannie (Obenchain) and J. T. Montgomery, whose 5 children grew up here, giving place its traditional name. Sold 1919 to Walter and Ethel Glithero, it was bought in 1967 and restored by Arthur J. Willrodt.

Recorded Texas Historic Landmark

[1973]  1419 Milam Street


Old General Store      [top]  [next]

Once a bustling, spicy smelling store, with sausages hanging from the rafters and slabs of bacon displayed in glass cases, this building was erected 1892 by H. S. Williams, merchant and City Mayor. It was run 1906-1941 by P.F. Heller, Jr., and wife Annie, who lived next door. In early days, flour was kept in a huge bin, apples, onions, potatoes were stored in the cool, dark cellar; and deliveries were made in a house-drawn "dray' (wagon).

Recorded Texas Historic Landmark

[1969]  936 Milam Street


Old Stafford Opera House     [top]  [next]

Built 1886 by R.E. Stafford (1834-1890) millionaire cattleman, stately interior (which seated 1000) had gas burning chandeliers and an elaborate hand-painted curtain. Architect was N.J. Clayton, who designed many opulent Texas buildings. Opening performance, "As in a Looking Glass', starred famous Lillian Russell. Magician Houdini also played here as did other prominent entertainers. On performance days, special trains ran from the distant towns.

Entered in the National Register of Historic Places in 1973
Recorded Texas Landmark

[1969]  425 Spring Street


Site of Railway Hospital      [top]  [next]

Dr. Robert Henry Harrison (1826-1905), graduate of the Botanico Medical College, Cincinnati, and Alabama Medical College moved to Columbus in 1870's while the Galveston, Harrisburg & San Antonio (later Southern Pacific) Railway was building Columbus-San Antonio line. Physician to G.H. & S.A. President T. W. Pierce, he was 1880-87 Medical and Surgical Director, Atlantic Division of the Southern Pacific. In 1880 he built a hospital for railway employees at this site, staff included Drs. J. H. Bowers, A. S. McDaniel, and R. H. Harrison, Jr. about 1886, hospital burned, and was not rebuilt.

[1973]  Corner of Spring & Live Oaks Street


The Rangers of Austin's Colony     [top]  [next]

By March 1822, Stephen F. Austin had attracted about 150 colonists to Texas. The pioneers faced many hardships, including concern for their protection from Indians along the Colorado and Brazos Rivers. In December of that year, Trespalacios, the Mexican Governor divided the colony into two districts, each having an Alcalde to preside over matters of local administration and a Captain to handle protection of the colonists.

In 1823, after several Indian attacks on the members of Austin's Colony, Captain Robert Kuykendall and Alcalde John Tumlinson of the Colorado District requested permission from Trespalacios to raise a company to protect the colonists. Ten men were recruited to serve under the command of Moses Morrison.

When Stephen F. Austin returned from Mexico City in August 1823, he found the colony still plagued by Indian disturbances and announced that he would employ ten additional men, at his own expense, to serve as “Rangers” for the common defense. Although the law enforcement group know as the Texas Rangers was not formally organized until 1835, the “Rangers” of Austin's colony are the earliest recorded force of this type raised in Texas and served as a model for the later formation of The Texas Rangers.

Texas Sesquicentennial
Courthouse Square

The Rev. Jacob Sherer
(February 7, 1785-March 2, 1860)
     [top]  [next]

Born in North Carolina, moved to Texas in 1851. As Pastor here, is said to have founded the First English-Speaking Lutheran Church in Texas; a founder (1857) of Colorado College, First Public School in Columbus and one of first in Texas; he and 3 sons made brick and built the college.

[1973]  At St. Pauls Lutheran Church, Highway 90 West.


Robert Henry Harrison, M.D.
(November 13, 1826-October 17, 1905)
     [top]  [next]

A Georgia native and a doctor's son, Robert Henry Harrison received his medical degree in Ohio in 1846. He married Martha V. Towell in 1856, then served as a colonel in the Confederate Army. He moved to Columbus with his family in 1869, lived in a home at this site, and opened a Doctor's Office on the town square. He was a founding member and President of the State Medical Association, helped establish Texas' Board of Health, and was a prolific medical journalist. He built a hospital in Columbus in 1880 for Railway employees. He left a legacy of civic leadership and volunteer medical service.

[1994]  302 Preston Street


Rosenfield Building     [top]  [next]

One of Columbus' first downtown commercial structures, built here in 1837, housed a doctor's family and office from 1850 to 1866. John Rosenfield bought the property in 1872 and about 1896 erected this building. A fine example of a turn of the century commercial storefront, it features first and second floor 4-bay facades, terra cotta ornamentation, front wooden sash windows with transoms, and buff brick construction. Various businesses have occupied the building. Purchased and restored by Laura Ann Rau in 1986.

Recorded Texas Historic Landmark

[1994]  1004 Milam Street


Simpson-Williamson House     [top]  [next]

Virginia native Friench Simpson (1848-1923) came to Colorado County in the 1860's. A farmer, banker, Columbus mayor, state senator, and poet, Simpson had this home built for his family in 1882. After 1916, it became the home of Dr. C.A. Williamson (D.1925), an early Columbus Physician, and remained in that family until 1968. The home exhibits influences of the Italianate and Eastlake architectural styles in its decorative milled wood detailing and ornamental roof cresting.

Recorded Texas Historic Landmark

[1986]  630 Milam Street


Site of the Camp     [top]  [next]

March 20-26, 1836, of one division of General Santa Anna's Army under the command of General Juaqunin Ramirez Y Sesma. It crossed the Colorado at Atascosita Ford, eight miles below Columbus.

[1936]  Corner of Milentz and U.S. 90


St. Johns Episcopal Church     [top]  [next]

The earliest Episcopal worship service known to have held in Columbus occurred in 1848. At that time services were held infrequently, conducted by clergy traveling through the area. The Rev. Hannibal Pratt came to Columbus in 1855, and Saint John's Parish was officially organized and admitted to the Diocese of Texas on April 14, 1856. Worship services for Saint John's parishioners were held in a variety of locations, including the large castle like home of Robert Robson, the county courthouse, and the Methodist church. A lot on Milam Street was purchased in 1871 and a church building was constructed by 1874. It was later sold to the Church of Christ. Property at this site was purchased in 1906 with proceeds from the will of Mrs. Fannie Darden and money raised by The Ladies Guild. A house located here was used first as a rectory and later as a parish house. A new brick church, built with funds willed to the congregation by Mrs. Nannie Thatcher Andrus, was consecrated in 1942 by Bishop Clinton S. Quin. Charter members of Saint John's included citizens of the Republic of Texas, Veterans of the Texas Revolution, local civic leaders, and state officials.

Recorded Texas Historic Landmark

[1990]  915 Travis   [PHOTO]


Stafford-Miller House     [top]  [next]

Ornate Victorian House built for millionaire cattleman-banker, Robert E. Stafford (1834-90). One of organizers of Columbus Meat & Ice Co. Stafford built home and opera house in the same year, 1886. By design, he could sit in his bedroom and see opera house stage performances, next door.

Home lost a cupola in 1909 hurricane; it was owned by the Staffords until 1915, then sold to Mrs. Helena Miller, whose descendants still preserve it.

Recorded Texas Historic Landmark

[1973]  423 Spring Street


Tait Town House     [top]  [next]

Home begun 1856, with slave labor, by Chas. Wm. Tait, military surgeon, surveyor, Texas Legislator, planter. After Civil War duty in 4th Texas Cavalry, finished home.

Cottonwood siding, hand-molded brick in the four chimneys and basement.

Recorded Texas Historic Landmark

[1965]  536 Wallace Street


Tate-Senftenberg-Brandon Home     [top]  [next]

Originally a modest one-story cottage built about 1867 by Phocian Tate. Sold in 1887 to A. Senftenberg, merchant, who added second story and porches with Victorian ornamentation. In 1900 Kenneth Brandon bought home and extended northeast section. Most of early features still remain. Of interest is basement built of Columbus made brick. In 1968 Magnolia Homes Tour bought house to restore it as a museum with period furnishings.

Recorded Texas Historic Landmark

[1969]  616 Walnut Street


Toliver-Cone House     [top]  [next]

James A. Toliver (1844-1911), native Texan, Civil War Veteran, and local political and civic leader, is said to have built this house about 1870 with the finest pine and cypress from his lumber yard. It was purchased in 1916 by Sallie Cone d(1872- 1966). Prominent features of the residence include its two-story wraparound porch and decorative jig-sawn woodwork on the columns and railings. After Mrs. Cone’s death, the home remained in the family until 1974.

Recorded Texas Historic Landmark

[1986]  436 Dewees Street


Townsend-West House     [top]  [next]

Eastlake style embellishments make this a Victorian jewel. It was built in 1890 by contractor Jacob Wirtz for Marcus H. and Annie (Burford) Townsend. A state representative (1883-85) and senator (1889-93). Townsend sponsored bill for state purchase of the Alamo; he also named a county for his law partner, Major Robert Foard.

Bought 1906 by Thurmond Bowers and Erma (Zumwalt) West, house is occupied and preserved by their son, Thurmond Baltzar West.

Recorded Texas Historic Landmark

[1973]  634 Spring Street


Tumlinson Family     [top]  [next]

John (1776-1823) and Elizabeth Plemmons (1778-1829) Tumlinson were born in Lincoln County, North Carolina and lived in Tennessee, Illinois and Arkansas before coming to Texas with their seven children as members of Austin’s Old Three Hundred Colony. The Tumlinson family settled on the Colorado River, Austin’s colonists were divided into two districts; the settlers of the Colorado District elected John Tumlinson their first Alcalde, the Chief Executive in a Spanish municipality. Among his duties were administering justice and organizing a militia among the colonists.

In May 1823 the first official Texas Ranger Company was organized to protect settlers from Indian attacks. John Tumlinson was killed in such an attack by Waco Indians in July of that year while en route to San Antonio to buy gunpowder for his militia.

Elizabeth Tumlinson was granted a league of land in a desirable location in the center of Colorado District in August 1824. She and her children remained in Austin’s Colony. John J. Tumlinson, Jr., became a Texas Ranger Captain in 1832 and was the first of many of his descendants to serve the Rangers. His brother Peter joined the Rangers in 1835. Fourteen other men who were related to John and Elizabeth Tumlinson by blood or marriage served in the Texas Rangers between 1859 and 1921, and several other Tumlinsons were frontier lawmen. The two that grew up around the Elizabeth Tumlinson League became known as Columbus in 1835. The legacy of the Tumlinson Family, Old Three Hundred Colonists, farmers, Alcaldes, landowners, Rangers and lawmen, continued to be felt throughout the region.

[1999]  Courthouse


William B. Dewees (1799-1878)     [top]  [next]

Early Texas settler. Came here from Kentucky, 1822, when Texas was part of Mexico. Received a large land grant in 1824 as one of Stephen F. Austin’s “Old 300” Colonist. Worked as blacksmith and trader.

After Columbus was burned in Texas Revolution, 1836, he laid out new (present) town and gave land for courthouse and school.

His correspondence, published 1852 as “Letters From an Early Settler of Texas to a Friend”, provided valuable eyewitness accounts of the “Runaway Scrape” of the Revolution., and life in Colonial Texas.

[1971]  Corner of Washington and Bowie Streets


William Menefee     [top]  [next]

William L. Menfee, born ca. 1796 in Knox County, Tennessee, served in the Tennessee Militia in the War of 1812. He studied law and was admitted to the bar sometime prior to when he moved to Alabama.  In 1830 he and his wife Agnes (Sutherland) and their seven children moved to Jackson County, Texas

Menefee came involved in Texas’ affairs with Mexico and represented Lavaca County as a delegate to the conventions of 1832 and 1933. In 1835 he represented Austin municipality at the consultation at San Felipe and later served as a member of the General Council of the Provisional Government of Texas.

Menefee was elected Colorado municipality’s first Chief Justice in 1836. On March 2, 1936, he was among the signers of the Texas Declaration of Independence. In late 1836 Menefee was appointed Colorado County’s First County Judge by Republic of Texas President Sam Houston. Elected to the Texas House of Representatives in 1837, he was one of five congressmen chosen to select the site for the Texas capitol. An unsuccessful candidate for the Republic of Texas vice-presidency in 1841, he later served as Fayette County’s State Representative from 1853 to 1857. He died on October 29, 1875, and is buried in the Texas State Cemetery in Austin.

[1995]  Courthouse


William Shelby Delany
(September 18, 1825-December 16, 1900) 
    [top]  [next]

Kentucky native William S. Delany was a college professor before being admitted tot he bar in 1852. He practiced law in Tennessee until 1860, when he moved to Columbus. The Delany Family Homestead was located at this site. Delany served in the county militia during the Civil War. And later was elected tot he office of District Attorney, County Judge, and Representative to the State Legislature. He was active in civic affairs and was a lay leader at St. John’s Episcopal Church. He died in Austin while visiting his daughter and is buried in that city’s Oakwood Cemetery.

[1995]  420 Bonham Street


Youens-Hopkins House      [top]  

An 1860’s frontier cottage of cypress and pine, with locally made bricks in foundation.

At first owned by James Hodges, bought 1875 by James H. Simpson, county’s first banker, then sold in 1896 to Charles J.G. Leesemann, 1904-08 Colorado County Clerk.

The 1915 purchasers, Dr. Willis G. And Mrs. Fay Burford Youens, had two sons, one grandson physicians in this county; house, owned by James G. and Mary Youens Hopkins, remains in Dr. Youens family.

Recorded Texas Historic Landmark

[1973]  617 Milam Street